Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: SH Polar Vortex  (Read 535 times)

Michael Hauber

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 4
SH Polar Vortex
« on: November 23, 2018, 06:34:28 AM »
Also posted in weird weather thread in consequences.

Furthermore there is a remarkable string of strong low pressure systems belting across Australia and well into the Pacific.  Got some members of the weatherzone forum scratching our heads not sure what to make of it.  The pattern might have implications for ENSO, as I think its part of why a significant WWB is forecast to commence shortly.

I've been doing some hunting around to see if I can explain it as some sort of polar vortex variation.  Due to this forum I know more about the northern polar vortex than the southern which impacts on my weather.  Of course Antarctica hasn't had no real trend towards reducing sea ice, but has had a couple years of fairly low values.  Start of a similar change in SH to what has happened in NH?  Maybe some connection to changes in the Ozone hole....

Does anyone follow the SH polar vortex much and know if anything is going on that might explain part of this weird weather?
Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.

Gray-Wolf

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 54
Re: SH Polar Vortex
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
Just had a look at the 10HPa winds and that is fecked!

The Years I've had the odd peek at the Vortex ( compare and contrast with the Polar Night Jet over the north?) it has been a robust circular flow right up to the final breakdown for southern Summer.

How can such a form even be stable?

it looks like the Antarctic playing catch up to the North has just taken a lurch toward parity?

The flip of the Pacific Naturals ,back in 2014, coincided with meaningful restoration of the Ozone across the continent and the impacts of both those showed near instant impact on ice extent/area.

It now looks like we are seeing similar behaviours from WAA/cold plunges in the southern Hemisphere as we saw evolve, over the last 20 years. in the North?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS