Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Climate Change Paper So Depressing It's Sending People to Therapy  (Read 2903 times)

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
"What if I told you there was a paper on climate change that was so uniquely catastrophic, so perspective-altering, and so absolutely depressing that it's sent people to support groups and encouraged them to quit their jobs and move to the countryside?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwpdb/the-climate-change-paper-so-depressing-its-sending-people-to-therapy

Deep Adaptation
The study on collapse they thought you should not read – yet « Professor Jem Bendell

https://jembendell.wordpress.com/2018/07/26/the-study-on-collapse-they-thought-you-should-not-read-yet/

"“I am releasing this paper immediately, directly, because I can’t wait any longer in exploring how to learn the implications of the social collapse we now face,” explained the author Dr Bendell, a full Professor of Sustainability Leadership"

http://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:44:09 PM by morganism »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
Re: The Climate Change Paper So Depressing It's Sending People to Therapy
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
I am not sure what the angle is here but something does not smell right about this. Specifically the actual paper is not available. The presentation reads like those financial scams where they have many testimonials, which are probably fake, and they never really tell you what the actual investment is. Well until you buy their newsletter or go to the seminar or whatever.

Maybe I am off base but I doubt it.

Edit: I was wrong it happens. Sorry for the waste of electrons.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:14:24 AM by interstitial »

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:22:18 PM »
The actual paper is not available, because if was rejected by scientific journals.  I think that says it all.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
You can "publish" whatever you want online if the author wanted to. That says more I think but getting rejected says a lot too.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:35:00 AM »
link to paper found on second link pdf www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf

also has an mp3 version at the same link.  Haven't read it.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 12:45:08 AM »
didn't get much out of it, the last line makes sense.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 05:29:34 PM »
It's an interesting essay.  It's not a science paper and was rightly rejected.  In some ways it's just "McPherson Lite."  This is his takeaway:

"Recent research suggests that human societies will experience disruptions to their basic functioning within less than ten years due to climate stress. Such disruptions include increased levels of malnutrition, starvation, disease, civil conflict and war – and will not avoid affluent nations."

He relies a fair amount on Wadhams to bolster his most dramatic claims about rapid climate unraveling, so there's that!  The essay examines how we should approach our lives - and particularly how academics in climate and sustainability fields should approach theirs - IF we accept that near term collapse is unavoidable.  He writes well and has some interesting things to say about that.  But, I think it almost goes without saying that he has no more idea about whether or not the climate and civilization will unravel before 2030 than any reasonably well-read poster on this forum.

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 6
I agree with comments above that the original paper, the subject of this thread, is not a pure 'science' paper per se; but I do think the issues raised deserve airing. That's why I think the better place for a discussion about the issues raised might be under a different heading. Since Prof Bendell has strong links to the UK Extinction Rebellion movement, I posted my own thoughts on this subject at the thread below...

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2431.100.html#lastPost

Sic transit gloria mundi