Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Temperature records (data)  (Read 345 times)

Phil42

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 538
Temperature records (data)
« on: February 10, 2020, 01:12:43 PM »
Hello ASIF, I had this idea for a new thread with the specific purpose of keeping track of temperature records (both high and low). I haven't found a similar existing thread, but if one exists, please just remove this one.

With temperature records tumbling around the globe, I think it would be interesting of having a record (even if very incomplete) where and when new records are set. I think it would be best to limit this thread to purely data posts, and leave away big discussions (like the ASI extent data thread). Also whenever possible it would be good to provide information about the temperature that was measured (in °C or °C/°F), when (date) a record was set, where (weather station / town / country) it was set and what kind of record it is (monthly / all-time / ...). Also a source would be helpful.

To start the thread I'd like to go back to the Europe summer 2019 heatwave(s) were several country-wide all-time records were broken (source):
  • France: 46.0C in Vérargues on 28th June 2019
  • Belgium: 41.8C in Begijnendijk on 25th July 2019
  • Germany: 42.6C in Lingen on 25th July 2019
  • Luxembourg: 40.8C in Steinsel on 25th July 2019
  • Netherlands: 40.7C in Gilze en Rijen on 25th July 2019
  • United Kingdom: 38.7C in Cambridge on 25th July 2019

On a more recent note, it has been reported that the all time high for the whole continent of Antarctica has been broken with 18.3C at the Esperanza Base on 6th February 2020.

<edited title; N.>
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:52:57 PM by Neven »

blumenkraft

• Young ice
  • Fans of Hans Ø Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1042
  • Likes Given: 1573
Re: Temperate records (data)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:19:26 PM »
Good idea IMHO. :)

Is this a pure data thread, or is it open for discussions too?
Beware, this user bites.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 238
Re: Temperate records (data)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
Extreme temperatures around the world
The most reliable and updated collection of extreme temperatures on the WEB!http://www.mherrera.org/temp.htm

Cat 6, the Weather Underground blog, often [e.g., here] features Mr. Herrera's data and frequently identifies his work as the best in the world, as to maintaining and analyzing temperature records.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Phil42

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 538
Re: Temperature records (data)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »
That website is an amazing collection, thanks a lot for that link, Tor.

pietkuip

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
The records that I am most curious about are wet-bulb temperatures and good data about temperature and humidity together. Given their vital importance, I find it a bit strange that accurate values are not easily available.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10974
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
Very good pietkuip, that would be important data/information.
Where to find humidity data? It isn't stated with a new temperature record. But then again, it is only of interest for temperatures above 35°C/95°F. Not only for records because the temperature may not set a new record but the wet bulb temperature might set a new record. Too bad climatereanalyser doesn't show a wet bulb temperature.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome