Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Climate change, the ocean, agriculture, and FOOD  (Read 900860 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: Climate change, the ocean, agriculture, and FOOD
« Reply #2800 on: March 25, 2024, 11:54:17 PM »
And it's back.  ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

trm1958

• Frazil ice
  • Will civilization survive Climate Breakdown?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #2801 on: March 26, 2024, 12:03:21 AM »
I kept getting an error message when I tried to look at this thread.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 769
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2802 on: March 26, 2024, 12:13:59 AM »
Good page to see running. I like that it was a reductive solution.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 927
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #2803 on: March 26, 2024, 11:31:39 AM »
The last message was mine and I wanted to modify it when it crashed and I couldn't reach the page after that. I did not do anything special though, so don't know what went wrong.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #2804 on: March 26, 2024, 02:50:22 PM »
The last message was mine and I wanted to modify it when it crashed and I couldn't reach the page after that. I did not do anything special though, so don't know what went wrong.

I removed your comment and now page 56 is visible again. I don't know what was wrong with it. Here's what you wrote:

Well, if they modelled it on the 2022 European events then they are wrong. As is said above, my country's (Hungary) agriculture was one of the most seriously effected in the summer of  2022. Production fell by cca 25%. But it was NOT the heat. It was a warm summer but not much warmer than summers in the past 10 years. The main problem was NOT the heat but the lack of rain. The collapse of production was caused by drought. That's a totally different reason. The temperature of the summer of 2019 was exactly the same as 2022 but production was pretty good. 2019 had enough rain, 2022 did not.

Maybe the European events are not the same as Hungarys events?  That is such a non argument.

Good point. But Europe had exactly the same:

https://climate.copernicus.eu/esotc/2022/precipitation
https://climate.copernicus.eu/esotc/2022/drought

"For Europe as a whole, annual precipitation in 2022 was below the average for the 1991–2020 reference period, with estimates ranging from -4% to -10% in the three datasets used to inform this report. In particular, the GPCP dataset showed the driest year in its record and E-OBS indicated it was the driest since the mid-1960s."
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #2805 on: March 26, 2024, 10:50:24 PM »
New book details how ‘barons’ took over American agriculture

“Barons,” published Tuesday by Austin Frerick, a native Iowan and Yale University food policy fellow, argues that a runaway process of monopoly has gutted rural America while bleeding the taste from American food.

In the book, Frerick tells the story of the consolidation of American agriculture since the 1970s through the rise of seven “baronial” families that rose to dominate entire sectors of a once-diversified American food system.

The subjects of these agricultural sagas range from the Waltons’ conquest of the grocery market, in which Walmart now has the same market share as the second- through eighth-largest grocery chains combined; to the Cargill-MacMillan family’s consolidation of a quarter of the grain market; to the McCloskey family’s commanding position in dairy.

Frerick told The Hill this consolidation of the market has led to a collapse in American consumer choice. To take one example of many, the Reimann family of Germany — which employs 180,000 workers globally — now owns virtually every American coffee chain aside from Starbucks and Dunkin’: Peet’s Coffee, Caribou Coffee, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Pret A Manger, Panera Bread, Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Intelligentsia Coffee, Green Mountain Coffee, Trade Coffee and Keurig.
(snip)
In 1982, that land nourished a great deal of corn — but it also held more than 12,000 acres of vegetables, a number that had plunged to 7,500 by 2022, according to the Department of Agriculture.

Over the past 30 years, the number of farms in Iowa fell by 25 percent, and surviving farms increased in size by 30 percent — part of a broader “hollowing out” of rural America that The Hill has previously reported on.

Between just 2017 and 2022, the number of U.S. farms dropped by 142,000. The one category of farm that didn’t decline was those that encompassed more than 5,000 acres.

Three-quarters of American farm income now comes from operations that make than $1 million in annual sales, according to the USDA.

“It all fell apart in my lifetime in Iowa,” Frerick said. As he got into food policy, he was haunted by a question: “How did the animals disappear from the landscape in Iowa?”

That question, he gradually concluded, was related to another one: “How did a hog baron become the largest political donor in our state?”

The farmer in question is Jeff Hansen, who with his wife Deb expanded a tiny three-sow hog business to become one of the nation’s key players in the consolidation of the hog market — bringing to pig farming the techniques that helped consolidate the chicken business in the 1990s.

That change has corresponded to a dramatic shift in the agricultural geography of Iowa; since 1992, the state’s factory farm-based pig population has “increased more than 50 percent while the number of hog farms has declined by over 80 percent,” Frerick writes.

Hogs now outnumber Iowans 7 to 1 and produce more manure than the human populations “of California, Texas and Illinois combined,” he writes.
(more)

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4555036-american-agriculture-consolidation-barons/

neal

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 205
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #2806 on: March 27, 2024, 02:41:28 PM »
climate change and chocolate

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5314
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2807 on: March 27, 2024, 06:13:43 PM »
climate change and chocolate
It went to 10,000 today.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2061
  • Likes Given: 1998
« Reply #2808 on: March 27, 2024, 06:51:50 PM »
Coffee shall follow.
Can´t grow those up north yet...

Same goes for olives and Italian risotto.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: March 27, 2024, 07:18:20 PM »

I removed your comment and now page 56 is visible again. I don't know what was wrong with it. Here's what you wrote:

Well, if they modelled it on the 2022 European events then they are wrong. As is said above, my country's (Hungary) agriculture was one of the most seriously effected in the summer of  2022. Production fell by cca 25%. But it was NOT the heat. It was a warm summer but not much warmer than summers in the past 10 years. The main problem was NOT the heat but the lack of rain. The collapse of production was caused by drought. That's a totally different reason. The temperature of the summer of 2019 was exactly the same as 2022 but production was pretty good. 2019 had enough rain, 2022 did not.

Maybe the European events are not the same as Hungarys events?  That is such a non argument.

Good point. But Europe had exactly the same:

https://climate.copernicus.eu/esotc/2022/precipitation
https://climate.copernicus.eu/esotc/2022/drought

"For Europe as a whole, annual precipitation in 2022 was below the average for the 1991–2020 reference period, with estimates ranging from -4% to -10% in the three datasets used to inform this report. In particular, the GPCP dataset showed the driest year in its record and E-OBS indicated it was the driest since the mid-1960s."

Well El Cid that is better then one country data but it is probably not a big anomaly:

Droughts in Europe could be avoided with rapid emission cuts

Rapid climate action could mean devastating dry periods in the Mediterranean become less frequent by the end of the century, a new study shows.

Advanced computer modelling suggests summer rainfall in southern Europe could decline by up to 48% by the year 2100 if emissions of greenhouse gases continue to rise rapidly, but much of this projected decline could be avoided by reaching net-zero emissions as soon as possible.

The study, led by scientists at the University of Reading, published today (Monday 25 March) in Geophysical Research Letters, provides additional evidence to motivate accelerated climate action and prevent drastic rainfall decline, more droughts and more forest fires.

https://www.reading.ac.uk/news/2024/Research-News/Droughts-in-Europe-could-be-avoided-with-faster-emissions-cuts

I don´t think 2022 is much of an outlier for drought or indeed temperature so it is fine for some paper about inflation.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: March 27, 2024, 10:25:31 PM »
Yes, I guess that if it was the driest year for at least 60 years, that is not much to write home about

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: March 29, 2024, 08:26:05 PM »
Sheep: Excess temperatures cause low flocking concerns

High temperatures during critical periods of the reproductive cycle of sheep result in 2.1 million fewer lambs produced in Australia each year, costing sheep farmers an estimated $97 million annually.

The work, funded by Meat and Livestock Australia and conducted by a transdisciplinary team of researchers from the University of Adelaide and South Australian Research Development Institute (SARDI), found that days above 32°C during the week of mating caused the significant loss of potential lambs.

Published in Nature Food, the study found annual losses of potential lambs would increase to 2.5 million if median global warming increased by 1°C, and 3.3 million if it increased by 3°C.

"This modelling is important as it demonstrates that heat events threaten the sustainability of sheep production, both within Australia and globally," says the University of Adelaide's Associate Professor William van Wettere, who led the study.

Not only does heat stress decrease the number of lambs born, but it can also reduce lamb birthweight by between 0.6-1.4kg.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240321001148.htm

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2812 on: March 30, 2024, 01:47:26 AM »
Sheep: Excess temperatures cause low flocking concerns

High temperatures during critical periods of the reproductive cycle of sheep result in 2.1 million fewer lambs produced in Australia each year, costing sheep farmers an estimated $97 million annually.

The work, funded by Meat and Livestock Australia and conducted by a transdisciplinary team of researchers from the University of Adelaide and South Australian Research Development Institute (SARDI), found that days above 32°C during the week of mating caused the significant loss of potential lambs.

Published in Nature Food, the study found annual losses of potential lambs would increase to 2.5 million if median global warming increased by 1°C, and 3.3 million if it increased by 3°C.

"This modelling is important as it demonstrates that heat events threaten the sustainability of sheep production, both within Australia and globally," says the University of Adelaide's Associate Professor William van Wettere, who led the study.

Not only does heat stress decrease the number of lambs born, but it can also reduce lamb birthweight by between 0.6-1.4kg.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240321001148.htm

Sheep in Australia is wrong on almost every level. Why we have them here is beyond me when there are plenty of better options that are local.

I understand it is a culture thing.... Australians like sheep meat, but the animal suffers here. I would rather see kangaroo as a base meat in Australia and when done on scale, would be more effective and cheaper than any form of meat grown in Australia.

Ranman99

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2813 on: March 30, 2024, 01:48:34 PM »
Emu filet mignon are damned nice!!  8)
😎

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #2814 on: March 30, 2024, 03:16:06 PM »

Of course, the emus won the last Emu War.  ;-)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1165
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #2815 on: March 30, 2024, 07:03:50 PM »
Bird flu spreads to dairy cows in Idaho, Michigan and New Mexico
A highly virulent bird flu first detected in dairy cows in Texas and Kansas this week has spread to additional herds, bringing the number of affected states to five and adding evidence the virus may be spreading cow-to-cow.
The strain has been confirmed in Michigan, and presumptive positive tests have been reported from Idaho and New Mexico, federal officials said Friday.

Earlier in the day, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reported incorrectly that presumptive positive tests had also been found in Ohio.

The presence of the highly pathogenic avian influenza — commonly known as HPAI — has been confirmed in a Michigan dairy herd that recently received cows from Texas, according to a statement Friday from the USDA.

The virus strain found in Michigan is similar to a strain confirmed in Texas and Kansas that appears to have been introduced by wild birds, the USDA statement said.

“Spread of symptoms among the Michigan herd also indicates that HPAI transmission between cattle cannot be ruled out,” according to the USDA statement.

Initial testing has not identified changes to the virus that would make it more transmissible to humans, according to the USDA.

“While cases among humans in direct contact with infected animals are possible, this indicates that the current risk to the public remains low,” the agency statement said.

Idaho officials announced Thursday that avian flu was detected at a dairy cattle farm in Cassia County after the facility recently imported livestock from another state that had identified HPAI in cows. It did not provide details.

But in an interview, state veterinarian Scott Leibsle said avian flu was detected in the Idaho cattle after the farm imported cows from a Texas herd that had shown symptoms of HPAI.

“Cow-to-cow transmission is definitely playing a role in how this disease progresses. To what extent, we don’t know yet,” Leibsle said. It’s clear that infected wild birds spread the disease to herds in Texas and Kansas, he said. “But the herd of cattle that came up from Texas to Idaho, the birds didn’t follow,” the state veterinarian said.

Federal officials are monitoring closely and have advised veterinarians and producers to practice good biosecurity, test animals if they have to be moved, minimize animal movements and isolate sick cattle from the herd.

The USDA, Food and Drug Administration, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are investigating the illness among dairy cows, which is causing decreased milk production, low appetite and other symptoms.

Federal officials are also working with state and local public health officials to monitor for signs of diseases among people at the facilities where bird flu was detected.

Most infected animals have recovered after isolation, and few cattle deaths have been reported, the USDA said.

Idaho’s Leibsle said “not all dairy producers will want to wait one, two, three weeks” for dairy cows to recover. Some producers may decide to send the animals to slaughter as beef animals, he said. All those cattle will undergo the same rigorous food safety protocols.

The USDA statement said there continues to be “no concern about the safety of the commercial milk supply because products are pasteurized before entering the market, or that this circumstance poses a risk to consumer health.”

Dairies are required to send milk only from healthy animals into processing for human consumption. Milk from infected animals is being diverted or destroyed so that it does not enter the human food supply, USDA said.

In addition, pasteurization, which is required for milk entering interstate commerce for human consumption, inactivates bacteria and viruses, including influenza, in milk.

Officials have long cautioned consumers to avoid raw or unpasteurized milk. FDA’s long-standing position is that unpasteurized milk can harbor dangerous microorganisms posing serious health risks to consumers.

Because of the limited information available about the transmission of HPAI in raw milk, the FDA recommends that the dairy industry not manufacture or sell raw milk or unpasteurized cheese products made with milk from cows showing symptoms of illness, including those infected with avian influenza or herds exposed to cows infected with the virus.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2024/03/29/bird-flu-cows/

Can eliminate these risks by using Precision Fermentation.  Just saying.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:09:41 PM by Sigmetnow »
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 656
« Reply #2816 on: March 31, 2024, 03:00:41 AM »

Of course, the emus won the last Emu War.  ;-)

Dont mess with emus. There isn't an army in the world that can defeat them.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: April 01, 2024, 08:10:33 PM »
AGW changes the composition of fungi and bacteria in grapes and thus the taste:
https://www.inverse.com/science/winemakers-warming-planet

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5314
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2818 on: April 03, 2024, 03:10:52 PM »
Where to put this? So many environmental topics affected.

EU bins major part of its green agenda

AgriBusiness wins, small farmers lose; and the environment? Sorry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/apr/02/eu-green-deal-far-right-environment-agribusiness-extremists
The EU’s great green retreat benefits the far right. For the rest of us, it’s a looming disaster
Arthur Neslen

Environmental pledges are being shredded to please agribusiness and appease extremists. It’s a terrible mistake

he EU’s great green deal cave-in has been nothing less than spectacular. As aggressive lobbying and violent farmers protests ramped up in the last year, Brussels has killed plans to cut pesticide use by half, to green farming practices, to ban toxic “forever” chemicals, to rein in livestock emissions and, last week, to restore nature to 20% of Europe’s land and seas.

The aim may have been to create breathing space. Predictably, that hasn’t worked. The bloc’s anti-deforestation regulation seems likely to be the next green reform for the chop, with 20 agriculture ministers reportedly calling for it to be pared back and suspended on Monday, citing “administrative burdens”.

Why is this happening? It is clear that centre-right parties fear an expected far-right insurgency in June’s parliamentary elections. But veteran observers also see a strategic bid to set a “brown” agenda for the next European Commission, in the same way that the Fridays for Future and Extinction Rebellion youth protests in 2018 set a green agenda for the current one.

The difference, says Pieter de Pous, of the independent climate-change thinktank E3G, is that “unlike with the school strikes, the commission and EU ministers didn’t even wait for the election results to come in this time. They just rolled over pre-emptively”.

If they keep rolling, the next victims may be the world’s forests.

That would be a global gamechanger, because the EU’s deforestation law is a green jewel in European commission’s president Ursula von der Leyen’s crown that has garnered praise and inspired imitations beyond the EU. It introduces traceability requirements on commodities such as beef, soy, coffee and cocoa in deforestation hotspots – and bans on products whose origins cannot be verified. EU consumption of these commodities has caused about 10% of global forest loss.

Europe’s agriculture ministers argue that small farmers in the bloc should not be bound by the same forest protection rules that apply in the Amazon or Congo basin. But exempting them would raise questions, such as how can the commission legally ban deforestation-linked products from abroad while allowing them at home? Why should other countries respect demands for forest protection that Europe itself flouts? And how can we protect our remaining old-growth forests from the same industrial interests destroying them abroad?

Crucially, if the commission decides to throw this key measure to the chainsaws, what will be left of its green deal by 2030? Not much, beyond emissions cuts. “Von der Leyen risks obliterating her last remaining achievement on land use over the last five years,” Julia Christian of the forest conservation group Fern tells me. “There is already almost nothing left of the green deal.”

The narrative impulse for the EU’s fade to brown has been “farmers with pitchforks”. But farmers’ demands have been many and various, and typically centred on three grievances: a financial squeeze caused by fixed low retail pricing for their products, high input prices turbocharged by commodity speculation around the Ukraine war, and fears that the trade deal between the EU and South America’s Mercosur bloc will increase imports from countries with lower environmental and animal health standards.

Yet while the TV cameras focus on flames and manure in the streets in Europe, but the policymakers focus on demands from the biggest agribusiness trade associations. Just last week, more than 20 of them submitted a joint letter warning of “serious disruptions in all commodity supply chains” to Europe unless “red tape” and “administrative burden” are removed from the deforestation law.

It is this duality in the farmers’ high-profile campaign that has led agricultural unions representing rural workers and many small farmers to boycott it, arguing that farmers are being used by big, self-interested landowners to bring down the green deal.

And they just might. Von der Leyen recently responded to the protests by inviting the farm owners’ union Copa Cogeca to a meeting, after which she pledged to cut the “administrative burdens” and promptly ripped up remainders of the supposedly greened common agricultural policy (CAP) initiated just two years earlier.

Such retreats risk deepening the accelerating rural crisis, as climate chaos buffets farmers with early frosts, floods, droughts, heatwaves, fires and soil erosion.

Agriculture also makes up about 10% of Europe’s greenhouse gas emissions, and freeing farmers from the “burden” of reducing these now just stores up greater burdens down the line.

As the smaller unions point out, the real beneficiaries of the EU’s regulatory “brown-outs” will be the 20% of large industrial farms that reap 80% of the CAP’s €387bn budget, while nearly one in five farmers live in poverty in countries like France.

The lesson here should be that evading the redistributive obligations of a just transition creates constituencies for a backlash. Instead, the commission is genuflecting to the “backslides cover backsides” principle.

It doesn’t have to be like this. On the same day that agriculture ministers rounded on the deforestation law, a group of NGOs led by Oxfam proposed a ban on retailers purchasing farm produce at prices below production costs.

The EU could also clamp down on commodity speculation with better market monitoring, price controls on futures markets, and an excess profits tax for commodity index funds and other derivates trades.

By walking away from the EU-Mercosur trade agreement too, as French president Emmanuel Macron suggested last week, it could create the basis for a rural pact that protects the green deal and begins to break the stranglehold that Europe’s big landowners have on agriculture policy.

The facts are clear: a policy cave-in to Europe’s farmopoly at the expense of our common future is a bad choice, not a political necessity. By pandering to the arguments of the far-right populists that it ostensibly opposes, the commission is not satisfying them or progressing its own agenda: as research shows, it is merely sowing the seeds of greater future catastrophes.

Arthur Neslen writes about the environment for the Guardian
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 03, 2024, 06:41:02 PM »
Gerontocrat, The US borrows from the future to maintain current GDP. We are borrowing trillions and some portion of that borrowing goes to ag subsidies . This money all goes to very large farms and the five corporations that buy and sell commodity production. At some point the government won’t have the ability to borrow to subsidize overproduction. The big players will no longer have the ten to twenty percent subsidy from the government that allows them to undersell the cost of farm production.
Foreign farmers won’t have to compete against US unfair trade practices but the public will have to pay the piper and the true cost of production.
 https://www.americanactionforum.org/research/primer-agriculture-subsidies-and-their-influence-on-the-composition-of-u-s-food-supply-and-consumption/
 So at some point the price of food will rise when the markets finally realize the US can’t repay it’s debts. But small farmers like me might actually get paid for our labor.  Something is very wrong when most small farmers work and receive zero income for their labor when minimum wage for flipping burgers is now $20 an hour here in Calif.  The subsidies mostly go to the red belt states and their corporate overlords so getting any reduction of subsidies through their red state dominance of the Senate is about impossible . But the money runs out anyway because we are borrowing our own demise.
In a weird way the farmer protests protect the corporate hegemony.

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: April 05, 2024, 02:20:33 AM »
 Making Old Orchards New Again

The increasing popularity of hard cider means apple trees planted a century ago are being rediscovered and restored.

Wherever you find an old homestead—a house and barn with a little bit of land that has stood from sometime in the 1800s or early 1900s—you’ll find an apple tree. It may be gnarly, with limbs clawing out in all different directions like a witch’s unkempt hair. It may be surrounded by weeds and overgrowth, struggling skyward for the nutrition of the sun. But it will almost certainly be there. You may even find a few trees or an orchard. Even when the homestead has been reduced to the sad pit of a forgotten foundation, an apple tree remains.

The history of the United States is a history lined with apple trees. Early European settlers in America brought with them apple seeds, which they planted to begin the first orchards. Apples were a fruit of survival at the time, storing well and serving as both food and, in the form of cider, drink.

After the Revolutionary War, apples proliferated across the frontier. The legend of Johnny Appleseed is the story of a real man, John Chapman, who planted apple seedlings across what is now Appalachia and north into Ontario, Canada. Most homesteads up and down and across the expanding United States had several apple trees, if not full orchards. They were planted for food, to produce new trees to sell and for the production of hard cider, which was one of the most common drinks consumed in colonial America.

By the 1900s, apples had fallen out of favor. The introduction of prohibition eliminated the market for hard cider, and as railroads transformed transportation across the country, the market changed. Now, a few large apple orchards, growing only one or two varieties of apples, control the apple market. Today, 22 percent of apples sold in US grocery stores are the variety Gala, and most supermarkets offer only a few varieties. The backyard apple tree was left to grow wild—until a recent surge in interest in heritage varieties and hard cider production.
(more)

https://modernfarmer.com/2024/04/making-old-orchards-new-again/

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #2821 on: April 08, 2024, 03:18:41 PM »
By the 1900s, apples had fallen out of favor. The introduction of prohibition eliminated the market for hard cider, and as railroads transformed transportation across the country, the market changed. Now, a few large apple orchards, growing only one or two varieties of apples, control the apple market. Today, 22 percent of apples sold in US grocery stores are the variety Gala, and most supermarkets offer only a few varieties. The backyard apple tree was left to grow wild—until a recent surge in interest in heritage varieties and hard cider production.
(more)

Really interesting article, thanks.  Makes me want to start growing some food trees.  Holm oaks and apple trees are on my radar.  Perhaps in retirement....

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 494
« Reply #2822 on: April 08, 2024, 05:39:01 PM »
(more)

Really interesting article, thanks.  Makes me want to start growing some food trees.  Holm oaks and apple trees are on my radar.  Perhaps in retirement....

Apple trees are easy to grow.  I planted one years ago, and have had many successful harvests.  The tree needs to be pollinated before bearing fruit, but any other apple tree in the vicinity will suffice, even crab apples.  The first season, we only harvested a half dozen, but it has grown into thousands.  Getting too large, and I must cull the fruit on several branches to prevent breaking limbs - the tree will produce more fruit than it can support.  The tree will attract insects, bees, and deer.  I typically spray the lower two-thirds to prevent insects, and leave the top of the tree free.  There is no stopping the bees, but at least they all flock to the same apple.  A few sacrificial fruits allows for a successful harvest.  We do get occasional poor harvests, the worst being a late April freeze, which decimated the buds.  No fruit that year.

Good luck.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: April 08, 2024, 06:32:19 PM »
Zone pushing is a popular term in the palm growing community and it usually applies to trying to keep a tropical palm alive in a temperate climate. Just one hard freeze can kill a twenty or thirty year old palm.A Texas freeze was termed palmagedon and thousands of palms perished. A case of failed zone pushing.
Apples on the other hand need accumulated days of cold to be happy and fruit properly. In Southern Calif. the cold sinks in inland river valleys and mountain areas that consistently get cold are the other end of zone pushing . A  little research into the amount of chill time required for any apple you plant is important to future success. Also maybe figure in future conditions for what a tree that can easily live more than a hundred years will experience.
 Plant trees now, even if it isn’t a house you plan to retire to. Plant so you get some idea what grows well in your area. Even if you never harvest a single apple from the trees you plant , plant them anyhow. Plant them for someone else, for the bees ( and paper wasps ) plant them for the shade they provide or a limb to tie a swing to. Plant them because you can afford the $40-$50 bucks they cost . Plant them to support the nursery men/ women who grafted them. Plant them because it is so hard to be positive sometimes and know the small steps forward matter.
I am seventy and I find I am planting trees I know I will never see fruit along with the fruit trees I expect to see fruit from. I am planting palms for what I expect to be a much hotter place and not planting apples or pears that are already at the southern end of their range.
Each tree I plant gets a gopher cage to protect its roots for the first few years of growing. Gophers being ground dwelling can probably survive climate change unfazed.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1049
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2824 on: April 09, 2024, 12:45:58 AM »
Re: "Plant trees now, even if it isn’t a house you plan to retire to. Plant so you get some idea what grows well in your area. Even if you never harvest a single apple from the trees you plant , plant them anyhow. Plant them for someone else, for the bees ( and paper wasps ) plant them for the shade they provide or a limb to tie a swing to. Plant them because you can afford the $40-$50 bucks they cost . Plant them to support the nursery men/ women who grafted them. Plant them because it is so hard to be positive sometimes and know the small steps forward matter. "

Preach it, brother.

sidd

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3528
  • Likes Given: 761
« Reply #2825 on: April 10, 2024, 02:21:12 PM »
Farmers Warn ‘Crisis Is Building’ As Record Rainfall Drastically Reduces UK Food Production
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/10/uk-food-production-down-record-rainfall-farmers

Record-breaking rain in recent months has drastically reduced the amount of food produced in the UK, farming groups have said.

Livestock and crops have been affected as fields have been submerged since last autumn.

It has been an exceptionally wet 18 months. According to the Met Office, 1,695.9mm of rain fell from October 2022 to March 2024, the highest amount for any 18-month period in England in recorded history. The Met Office started collecting data in 1836.

The UK will be reliant on imports for wheat in the coming year and potentially beyond because of the drastic reduction in yields

Wheat production is down 15% since November, the biggest reduction in cropped areas since 2020. Oilseed rape is down 28%, the biggest reduction since the 1980s, and winter barley is down 22% at 355,000 hectares, the biggest reduction since 2020.

The areas that have been planted are likely to produce poor-quality crops as the soil is waterlogged, and some crops are likely to fail. The AHDB said: “The unfavourable weather is putting the yield at risk of being significantly reduced.”

“If we see continued lower production from poor weather, stubborn costs (eg fertiliser) and unprofitable prices, we will continually need more imports and further expose our market for a staple product in bread to the world trade.”

... While farmers are bearing the brunt of it now, consumers may well see the effects through the year as produce simply doesn’t leave the farm gate.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: April 10, 2024, 03:58:08 PM »
As we all know farmers have 4 great enemies: spring, summer, autumn and winter.

Ask any farmer and the end is always nigh (I've been talking to farmers for 30+ years and this is my pretty solid experience).

As for the real world, this is the price of wheat in the past 20 years and these are UK wages (and yes, I believe that much land is waterlogged and I believe that they will really have a bad harvest but due to global trade this will not be a crisis for the general population at all):

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: April 10, 2024, 04:38:08 PM »
El CID, From a farmers perspective the low price of commodity subsidized crops in a globalized world is a BIG problem. When there is inflation in everything else fuel, equipment, fertilizer, taxes , property and labor and relatively no change in a globalized and subsidized commodity like your wheat chart then farmers work for nothing or even spend their personal income to make the farm stay afloat if they try to grow wheat.
 And I repeat , cheap fossil fuel makes this crazy system possible where globalized prices are less than production cost growing the crop. So lots of farmers go broke, nothing new there, but your country becomes ever more dependent on very long distance supply for what is needed to feed it. Then one day fuel availability falters , the transportation networks become unaffordable and you then become dependent on local production from an farm community that no longer exists.
 But ya we are all whiners .

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: April 10, 2024, 05:10:39 PM »
UK imports from Morocco might not be guaranteed either:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68665826

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1019
  • Likes Given: 1054
« Reply #2829 on: April 10, 2024, 06:47:06 PM »
.. and try redrawing the wage graph taking inflation into account .
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 494
« Reply #2830 on: April 10, 2024, 09:56:29 PM »
As can be seen in the graph, wheat prices are dominated by events in Russia and Ukraine.  Historically, wheat prices have not kept pace with inflation, making wheat products cheaper today.  I suspect this is similar to other good commodities.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: April 11, 2024, 08:29:21 AM »
El CID, From a farmers perspective the low price of commodity subsidized crops in a globalized world is a BIG problem. When there is inflation in everything else fuel, equipment, fertilizer, taxes , property and labor and relatively no change in a globalized and subsidized commodity like your wheat chart then farmers work for nothing or even spend their personal income to make the farm stay afloat if they try to grow wheat.
 And I repeat , cheap fossil fuel makes this crazy system possible where globalized prices are less than production cost growing the crop. So lots of farmers go broke, nothing new there, but your country becomes ever more dependent on very long distance supply for what is needed to feed it. Then one day fuel availability falters , the transportation networks become unaffordable and you then become dependent on local production from an farm community that no longer exists.
 But ya we are all whiners .

Bruce,

the farmers I talk to never ever worry about the end of fossil fuels, supply chains, etc. all the things you worry about. They worry about too much rain, too little rain, frost, heat, wind, whatever. Yet, at the end of the year they are almos always profitable. Most of them have 50-500 ha land and they grow wheat, corn, rapeseed, sunflowers mostly. Their production costs are cca 500 euros/ha + rent which is cca 200 eur/ha here. So all in all 700, maybe 800 euros/ha .

Average yield is 4 t/ha wheat or 6-8 t/ha corn. Wheat is now 250 eur/ton, corn is 180. So their income is 1000-1500 eur/ha vs a cost of 700-800. They are profitable. On a 200 ha farm they make even after taxes (which they basically don't pay) cca 100 000 EUR/year almost every year. Also, most actually own the land (bought it when it was dirt cheap in the 90s an 00s) and do not rent it, so their income is actually higher.

Larger scale, extensive farming in Hungary IS profitable. Yes, it destroys the soil, and yes it is only possible because of fossil fuels, and food prices would be much higher without those factors. But currently, even at these prices they make money.

EDIT:

I almost forgot the EU subsidy which is cca 200 EUR/ha. In exchange for that you need to do a couple of things, eg. sowing a covercrop after harvest, etc, so called "greening". It is also a source of income

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: April 11, 2024, 08:33:01 AM »
.. and try redrawing the wage graph taking inflation into account .

Both the wheat price AND wages are nominal, so no need to adjust for inflation. OR: if you adjust wages for inflation, you would have to adjust wheat for inflation as well (and then wheta prices would be collapsing on that chart). The end result is the same. You can compare wages in dollars/euros/pounds to commodity prices in USD/EUR/GBP.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1165
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #2833 on: April 12, 2024, 01:19:13 AM »
NASA Earth
Just in – data from our newest Earth-observing satellite, PACE!

With PACE data, scientists can study microscopic life in the ocean and particles in the air, allowing us to monitor ocean health, air pollution, and impacts of climate change.
More: go.nasa.gov/4aNNGe2 
  —
PACE sees Earth’s ocean like never before. 🌊 🌈

These views of a phytoplankton bloom show natural color (left), chlorophyll-a concentration (right), and two phytoplankton communities (middle). PACE is the first ⁦‪@NASA‬⁩ satellite to identify specific phytoplankton communities! pic.twitter.com/C1EpxvzFWW 
 —
⁦‪PACE will help scientists study clouds, aerosols, and climate. ☁️

With these data, scientists can differentiate aerosols like smoke from dust or sea spray to better understand air quality and how much light aerosols absorb from the Sun. go.nasa.gov/4aNNGe2 
pic.twitter.com/TYo2QCmoX4 

4/11/24, 3:17 PM  https://x.com/nasaearth/status/1778502624792232228

More at the thread.  PACE can also identify, for example, which fields of crops are under stress.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2834 on: April 12, 2024, 04:28:08 AM »
thanks for that Sig   .....wow ! .....hopefully this will help with the question over aerosols and their heating or cooling effect 

I imagine James Hansen and co are hanging out for the data

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: April 12, 2024, 06:14:08 PM »
El CID,

“Larger scale, extensive farming in Hungary IS profitable. Yes, it destroys the soil, and yes it is only possible because of fossil fuels, and food prices would be much higher without those factors. But currently, even at these prices they make money.”

But farmers don’t worry about those things?
 I suppose if you aren’t worried about anything more than next years profit then you can ignore the end of fossil fuel abundance or how that might affect supply chains for your farms production or the inputs needed to keep it running.
 Hungary has some spectacular soils ,adequate rain , and a long running agrarian culture . I am sure Hungary can reinvent agriculture less dependent upon machines and will do so when it has to.
  However I live in Southern Calif. and we have no viable water resources, or anywhere near enough arable land per capital to support our twenty+ million population. Nobody here worries about it in the least. The pumps keep the water flowing from distant sources, the trucks bring in the food. We produce almost zero commodity crops. La la land doesn’t worry that there are way more guns than shovels where we live and nothing here to hunt. But something must bother them or why all the guns? So deep in our gut everyone here knows when the fuel runs out our food goes away and probably the guns come out . Until then it’s sunglasses , blonds ,  muscle cars , and a good tan.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: April 12, 2024, 09:38:05 PM »
El CID,

“Larger scale, extensive farming in Hungary IS profitable. Yes, it destroys the soil, and yes it is only possible because of fossil fuels, and food prices would be much higher without those factors. But currently, even at these prices they make money.”

But farmers don’t worry about those things?
 I suppose if you aren’t worried about anything more than next years profit then you can ignore the end of fossil fuel abundance or how that might affect supply chains for your farms production or the inputs needed to keep it running.

No, they do not worry about anything else than this year's crops. They don't care about soil erosion, or environmental degradation that they cause. Most people - not only farmers - base their views on the experience of the past few years. And they have never seen anything that you talk about. Hence, no worries. They can not imagine life without fossil fuels, or doing farming any other way. When I started talking to them about no-till and covercrops and diversity, etc. 5-10 years ago they were like "this guy is clueless, we have always tilled and why on Earth would we waste money on covercrop seeds?". This is changing slowly though partly because the EU makes them do things they wouldn't do on their own (eg. reducing tillage, using covercrops, using more diversity, etc.). And they do whine a lot about all theses unnecessary things they have to do because of these stupid eurocrats :)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: April 16, 2024, 12:45:45 PM »
Climate change is causing marine ‘coldwaves’ too, killing wildlife

The effects of ocean warming are profound and well-documented. But sometimes changes in the patterns of winds and ocean currents cause seawater to suddenly cool, instead.

Surface temperatures can plummet rapidly — by 10ºC or more over a day or two. When these conditions persist for several days or weeks, the area experiences a “coldwave”, which is the opposite of more familiar marine heatwaves.

When a “killer coldwave” manifested along South Africa’s southeast coast in March 2021, it killed hundreds of animals across at least 81 species. More worrying still was the fact these deaths included vulnerable manta rays and even specimens of notoriously robust migratory bull sharks. In southern Africa, bull sharks, whale sharks and manta rays have previously washed up dead following such sudden cold events, especially over the past 15 years.

As we report in Nature Climate Change, the conditions that can drive these killer coldwaves have grown increasingly common over the past four decades. Ironically, strengthening winds and currents as a result of climate change can also make these deadly localised coldwaves more likely in places such as the east coasts of South Africa and Australia, potentially putting even highly mobile species such as sharks in harm’s way.

What’s going on?
Certain wind and current conditions can cause the sea surface to cool, rather than warm. This happens when winds and currents force coastal waters to move offshore, which are then replaced from below by cold water from the deep ocean. This process is known as upwelling.

In some places, such as California on the US west coast, upwelling happens regularly along hundreds of kilometres of coastline. But localised upwelling can occur seasonally on a smaller scale, too, often at the edges of bays on the east coasts of continents due to interactions of wind, current and coastline.

Previous research had shown climate change induced changes in global wind and current patterns. So we investigated the potential consequences at particular locations, by analysing long-term wind and temperature data along the south-eastern coast of South Africa and the Australian east coast.

This revealed an increasing trend in the number of annual upwelling events over the past 40 years. We also found an increase in the intensity of such upwelling events and the extent to which temperatures dropped on the first day of each event – in other words, how severe and sudden these cold snaps were.

Mass deaths warrant investigation
During the extreme upwelling event along the southeast coast of South Africa in March 2021, at least 260 animals from 81 species died. These included tropical fish, sharks and rays.

To investigate the ramifications for marine fauna, we took a closer look at bull sharks. We tagged sharks with tracking devices that also record depth and temperature.

Bull sharks are a highly migratory, tropical species that only tend to travel to upwelling regions during the warmer months. With the onset of winter, they migrate back to warm, tropical waters.

Being mobile, they should have been able to avoid the local, cold temperatures. So why were bull sharks among the dead in this extreme upwelling event?

When running and hiding isn’t enough
Bull sharks survive environmental conditions that would kill most other marine life. For example, they’re often found several hundred kilometres up rivers, where other marine life would not venture.

Our shark tracking data from both South Africa and Australia showed bull sharks actively avoid areas of upwelling during their seasonal migrations up and down the coast, even when upwelling isn’t too intense. Some sharks take shelter in warm, shallow bays until the water warms again. Others stick close to the surface where the water is warmest, and swim as fast as they can to get out of the upwelling.

But if marine coldwaves continue to become more sudden and intense, fleeing or hiding may no longer be enough even for these tough beasts. For example, in the event in South Africa that caused the death of manta rays and bull sharks water temperatures dropped from 21°C to 11.8°C in under 24 hours while the overall event lasted seven days.

This sudden, severe drop paired with the long duration made this event particularly deadly. If future events will continue to become more severe, mass deaths of marine life could become a more common sight – especially along the world’s mid-latitude east coasts.

https://theconversation.com/climate-change-is-causing-marine-coldwaves-too-killing-wildlife-227781

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: April 16, 2024, 11:00:29 PM »
Impact of climate change on marine life much bigger than previously known

Fish and invertebrate animals are far more affected by warmer and more acidic seawater than was previously known. This is the conclusion of a study co-led by NIOZ marine biologist Katharina Alter, based on a new analysis method and published in the scientific journal Nature Communications.

Lead author Katharina Alter of the Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ) explains why it is essential to summarize and analyze the results of published studies addressing the effects of climate change: "To gain a better understanding of the overall worldwide impact of climate change, marine biologists calculate its effects on all fish or all invertebrate species lumped together. Yet, effects determined in different individual studies can cancel each other out: for example if invertebrate animals such as snails profit from a certain environmental change and other invertebrates, such as sea urchins, suffer from it, the overall effect for invertebrates is concluded to be zero, although both animal groups are affected."

In fact, snails eat more due to climate change and sea urchins eat less. Alter: "Both effects matter and even have cascading effects: turf algae, the food for sea urchins, grow more while the growth of kelp, the food for gastropods, decreases. The difference in feeding in the two invertebrates causes a shift in the ecosystem from a kelp dominated ecosystem to a turf algae dominated ecosystem, consequently changing the living environment for all other animals living in this ecosystem."

Important for understanding ecological shifts

Together with colleagues from Wageningen University and 12 other research institutions from the US, France, Argentina, Italy and Chile, dr. Alter developed the new research method that no longer cancels out seemingly contradictory results, but uses both to determine the consequences of climate change on animals' fitness.

Before the use of this method, ocean warming and more acidic seawater was known to negatively affect fish and invertebrate animals in three general ways: their chance of survival is reduced, their metabolism is increased, and the skeletons of invertebrates are weakened.

Using the new method, the international group of marine researchers discovered that climate change has negative effects on additional important biological responses of fish and invertebrates: physiology, reproduction, behaviour and physical development. Alter: "Because this may result in ecological shifts impacting marine ecosystem structures, our results suggest that climate change will likely have stronger impacts than previously thought."

Up to 100% of biological processes affected

Increasing levels of carbon dioxide in the air have been causing warmer and more acidic seawater for decades, a trend that is expected to continue in the future. However, it is unknown at which speed and to what extent.

Alter and her colleagues calculated the consequences of three projected scenarios of carbon dioxide increase, and thus of ocean warming and ocean acidification: extreme increase, moderate increase at the current speed and -- due to possible measures -- mitigated increase. Alter: "Our new approach suggests that if ocean warming and acidification continue on the current trajectory, up to 100% of the biological processes in fish and invertebrate species will be affected, while previous research methods found changes in only about 20 and 25% of all processes, respectively."

Furthermore, the research shows that measures to mitigate atmospheric carbon dioxide levels will help reduce changes in biological processes: in the low carbon dioxide scenario, 50% of responses in invertebrates and 30% in fish will be affected.

Detect hidden impacts

The big gain of the new method, according to Alter, is that more details become known about effects of climate change on species. "The new calculation method weighs the significant deviation from the current state irrespective of its direction -- be it beneficial or detrimental -- and counts it as impact of warming and acidifying seawater. With our new approach, you can include the broadest range of measured responses and detect impacts that were hidden in the traditional approach."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240409124015.htm

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: April 23, 2024, 10:47:50 AM »
What your fruit bowl reveals about climate breakdown

Spring arrived in style on March 26 2021 in Kyoto, Japan, as cherry trees reached the peak of their bloom. This marked the earliest recorded date when most flowers have opened in a series of annual records dating back to 812 AD – over 1,200 years.

The culprit is climate change. Milder, wetter winters and warmer springs coupled with increasingly variable weather have caused blossom dates to advance across growing regions and a variety of fruit trees.

While this might scupper the travel plans of those hoping to catch a glimpse of the famous cherry blossom in Japan, changing blossom dates are causing a much larger headache for those in charge of over 40 million hectares of fruit orchards worldwide.

Fruit trees have a complex relationship with the climate. In winter, trees need a period of cold weather (known as chill accumulation) to exit their dormant winter state and resume growth. This is followed by a period of warm weather (known as heat accumulation) which is necessary to produce blossoms in spring.

The amount of cold and warm weather required varies depending on the fruit and variety, but failure to fulfil either can damage fruit yield and quality.

Higher average temperatures and greater swings in temperature across both seasons have caused chaos for fruit trees, with increasingly frequent and severe heatwaves and cold snaps disrupting the once stable cycle of seasons.

Despite warming winters, many fruit trees are still comfortably meeting their requirement for chill accumulation in temperate realms like Europe and North America. But the same trees are fulfilling their heat accumulation requirement earlier because of warmer springs.

As a result, apples, pears, cherries, plums and apricots are all flowering earlier – by as much as a fortnight in some cases.

You will notice these changes too, most vividly, in the quality and availability of fruit you can buy. Here’s how the contents of your fruit bowl will change to reflect the distorted seasons.

How earlier blossoms affect fruit
Changes in blossom dates have major consequences when the time comes to harvest.

In areas where blossom dates are advancing, experts are warning of an increased risk that delicate blossoms will be exposed to damaging frosts. Even relatively short cold snaps when trees are in blossom can devastate fruit production. A single frosty night in April 2017 caused a 24% drop in the European yield of apples and a 12% drop in pear production.

Many fruit trees are also self-incompatible. This means they need cross pollination from a different variety to set fruit. Much of this pollination is carried out by insects, particularly wild bees, and, during my PhD, I have found that the climate is also affecting the timing of wild bee lifecycles.

Some species of bee are emerging at the wrong time to pollinate fruit blossoms, partly because bees and blossom respond differently to the climate. Not enough pollinating insects can be costly. Research from the University of Reading highlighted an estimated £5.7 million (US$7.3 million) a year in lost production of Gala apples due to too few insect pollinators.

Lack of pollination can slash crop yield and change dry matter content (a good indicator of sugar content and eating quality) and reduce the ratio of potassium to calcium in the fruit, which reduces the chance of fruit developing diseases post-harvest.

Earlier blossom dates have even been linked to changes in the taste of fruit. Research into Fuji and Tsugaru apples in Japan uncovered falling acid concentrations and increases in soluble sugars, resulting in sweeter-tasting fruit. Early indications suggest that, in temperate regions, these changes may be beneficial to fruit quality.

But in regions that are already considered warm, such as the Mediterranean, northern Africa and Brazil, growers face different challenges as their orchards aren’t getting enough cold weather.

This means trees may not reach their chill accumulation threshold, resulting in slower growth and lower production. The UK is importing more fruit than ever from such climate-vulnerable countries, including 18.5% of apple and pears in 2022.

This includes imports from South Africa and Brazil, where winter chill is already limited and predicted to shrink further under future climate conditions. Existing varieties with high chill requirements may need to be replaced by those with lower chill requirements, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady, which could become more prevalent on UK shelves as a result.

Even in countries not classed as particularly vulnerable to climate change, Widespread changes in the varieties and fruits that farmers grow may be necessary if orchards are to persist. By the end of the 21st century it is predicted that the necessary chill accumulation will be unattainable for many selectively bred varieties of apricot and peach in California, prompting dramatic declines in yield and making large changes in crop selection necessary.

A bitter harvest
Any changes to orchards will inevitably mean changes on the shelves of supermarkets. In the UK, experts are warning that traditional apple varieties such as Pippin or Nonpareil, grown in the country since at least 1500, are likely to be replaced by apples more suited to warmer climates, such as Fuji and Gala, bred in different parts of the world but grown in the UK.

In the not too distant future, you may find your favourite varieties of many fruits increase in price, or simply become unavailable, should climate change continue on its current trajectory.

https://theconversation.com/what-your-fruit-bowl-reveals-about-climate-breakdown-225608

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: April 24, 2024, 09:34:05 PM »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: April 25, 2024, 10:45:33 AM »
Very sad. Such a complete crash. Kelp, clams and dolphins... and it´s going to get worse globally for a long time because cooling the oceans is a very slow long term project...

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: April 25, 2024, 11:51:28 PM »
Linus, Thanks for the link. I wanted to get the full interview up so added a link to it. People should watch the interview with the marine biologist. Everything about the ecosystem he has spent his life studying is crashing. He looks like he has seen a ghost ! I have seen the look before on the face of other researchers. Science being a field where your emotions are kept  in the closet but humans can see human trauma and I think anyone can see it in this guys face , and hear it in his voice.
 I know a very bright women PhD who mentioned to me that the calcite horizon had begun to shoal into the Puget Sound, with the same look of terror. Very few people would ever understand their fear without a lot of study. Brilliance being no protection to the terror of what their minds know. That they can see what is coming . That there is no forum to cry to, to share the pain of being witness to , death. People who have never been underwater in the oceans for periods of time adequate to get a spacial impression of what’s there will never feel the gut punch of these losses. Japan has seen very large kelp die-offs, Tasmania, Galicia, Calif. Oregon, Washington, and each place had divers that saw it . They know the difference between what was and what remains. Researchers, a few fishermen , a few divers, and we know for the most part it won’t fix itself and return to what we knew it used to be.
 The pain of these losses needs public exposure. Maybe we can only bear witness but we should be honest about the personal pain we are carrying around and with the our knowledge about why it happened.

Ps, Linus, your post was important. You should avoid deleting posts if possible. I didn’t intend to step on your toes or steel your thunder.

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: April 26, 2024, 10:54:55 AM »
(lots of older papers linking kelp solids to seeding for rain drop formation, don't kno if those held up..)

(Kassy, the other thing about the fruit bowl story above is that even if flowering, some fruit won't set above certain thresholds. Here, most of my tomatoes flower late, but when it hits 92f, fruiting stops. Anything on the vine still grows, but that is the end of setting without hormone introduction.Peas are the same, even native ones for the desert are tough to fruit now.)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: April 29, 2024, 11:46:32 PM »
What does the future Indian Ocean look like?

A study led by Roxy Mathew Koll of the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, delves into the evolving climate of the Indian Ocean and its future projections.

Ocean is warming at a rapid pace
While the Indian Ocean warmed at a rate of 1.2°C per century during 1950–2020, climate models predict accelerated warming, at a rate of 1.7°C–3.8°C per century during 2020–2100. Though the warming is basin-wide, maximum warming is in the northwestern Indian Ocean including the Arabian Sea, and reduced warming off the Sumatra and Java coasts in the southeast Indian Ocean.

Seasonal cycle and weather patterns have shifted
The seasonal cycle of surface temperatures is projected to shift, which may have implications of extreme weather events over the Indo-Pacific region. While the maximum basin-average temperatures in the Indian Ocean during 1980–2020 remained below 28°C (26°C–28°C) throughout the year, the minimum temperatures by the end of the 21st century will be above 28°C (28.5°C–30.7°C) year around, under high emission scenario.  Sea surface temperatures above 28°C are generally conducive for deep convection and cyclogenesis. Heavy rainfall events and extremely severe cyclones have already increased since the 1950s and are projected to increase further with increasing ocean temperatures.

Warming is not just at the surface…
The rapid warming in the Indian Ocean is not limited to the surface. The heat content of the Indian Ocean, from surface to 2000 meters deep, is currently increasing at the rate of 4.5 zetta-joules per decade, and is predicted to increase at a rate of 16–22 zetta-joules per decade in the future.

…and can raise the sea level
Increase in the ocean heat content contributes to sea level rise also. Thermal expansion of water contributes to more than half of the sea level rise in the Indian Ocean, which is larger than the contribution from glacier and sea-ice melting.

Indian Ocean Dipole is getting extreme
The Indian Ocean Dipole, a phenomenon that affects the monsoon and cyclone formation, is also predicted to change. The frequency of extreme dipole events are predicted to increase by 66% whereas the frequency of moderate events are to decrease by 52% by the end of the 21st century.

Indian Ocean is moving to a near-permanent marine heatwave state
Marine heatwaves, periods of extremely high temperatures in the ocean, are expected to increase from 20 days per year to 220–250 days per year. This will push the tropical Indian Ocean into a near-permanent heatwave state. Marine heatwaves cause habitat destruction due to coral bleaching, seagrass destruction, and loss of kelp forests, affecting the fisheries sector adversely. They also lead to  rapid intensification of cyclones, where a cyclone could intensify from a depression to a severe category in a few hours.

more and the graphs on:
https://www.climate.rocksea.org/research/future-indian-ocean/

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: April 30, 2024, 03:42:09 PM »
Ice age could help predict oceans' response to global warming

A team of scientists led by a Tulane University oceanographer has found that deposits deep under the ocean floor reveal a way to measure the ocean oxygen level and its connections with carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere during the last ice age, which ended more than 11,000 years ago.

The findings, published in Science Advances, help explain the role oceans played in past glacial melting cycles and could improve predictions of how ocean carbon cycles will respond to global warming.

Oceans adjust atmospheric CO2 as ice ages transition to warmer climates by releasing the greenhouse gas from carbon stored within the deep ocean.

The research demonstrates a striking correlation between global ocean oxygen contents and atmospheric CO2 from the last ice age to today -- and how carbon release from the deep sea may rise as the climate warms.

"The research reveals the important role of the Southern Ocean in controlling the global ocean oxygen reservoir and carbon storage," said Yi Wang, lead researcher and an assistant professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Tulane University School of Science and Engineering.

The team analyzed seafloor sediments collected from the Arabian Sea to reconstruct average global ocean oxygen levels thousands of years ago.

They precisely measured isotopes of the metal thallium trapped in the sediments, which indicate how much oxygen was dissolved in the global ocean at the time the sediments formed.

"Study of these metal isotopes on glacial-interglacial transitions has never been looked at before, and these measurements allowed us to essentially recreate the past," Wang said.

The thallium isotope ratios showed the global ocean lost oxygen overall during the last ice age compared to the current warmer interglacial period.

Their study revealed thousand-year global ocean deoxygenation during abrupt warming in the Northern Hemisphere, whereas the ocean gained more oxygen when abrupt cooling occurred during the transition from the last ice age to today.

The researchers attributed the observed ocean oxygen changes to Southern Ocean processes.

"This study is the first to present an average picture of how the oxygen content of the global oceans evolved as Earth transitioned from the last glacial period into the warmer climate of the last 10,000 years," said Sune Nielsen, associate scientist at WHOI and co-author of the research.

"These new data are a really big deal, because they show that the Southern Ocean plays a critical role in modulating atmospheric CO2. Given that high latitude regions are those most affected by anthropogenic climate change, it is troubling that these also have an outsize impact on atmospheric CO2 in the first place."

Other authors include Kassandra Costa, Sophie Hines, and Wanyi Lu.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/01/240121192140.htm

Global oceanic oxygenation controlled by the Southern Ocean through the last deglaciation

Abstract
Ocean dissolved oxygen (DO) can provide insights on how the marine carbon cycle affects global climate change. However, the net global DO change and the controlling mechanisms remain uncertain through the last deglaciation. Here, we present a globally integrated DO reconstruction using thallium isotopes, corroborating lower global DO during the Last Glacial Maximum [19 to 23 thousand years before the present (ka B.P.)] relative to the Holocene. During the deglaciation, we reveal reoxygenation in the Heinrich Stadial 1 (~14.7 to 18 ka B.P.) and the Younger Dryas (11.7 to 12.9 ka B.P.), with deoxygenation during the Bølling-Allerød (12.9 to 14.7 ka B.P.). The deglacial DO changes were decoupled from North Atlantic Deep Water formation rates and imply that Southern Ocean ventilation controlled ocean oxygen. The coherence between global DO and atmospheric CO2 on millennial timescales highlights the Southern Ocean’s role in deglacial atmospheric CO2 rise.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adk2506

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: May 06, 2024, 12:21:17 AM »
Fish are shrinking around the world. Here’s why scientists are worried.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/05/04/fish-shrinking-warmer-temperatures-climate-change/

Widespread shifts in body size within populations and assemblages

https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/science.adg6006

Large organisms may be particularly susceptible to impacts from human activities, including hunting and harvesting, as well as the stress of climate change. Martins et al. analyzed body-size trends in plant and animal communities since 1960 from the BioTIME database and separated the effects of changes within species from those driven by species composition. They found that trends varied across communities, with marine fish more consistently shifted toward smaller body size. Mean body size changed within populations, but community-level trends were more affected by changes in the abundance of small- and large-bodied species. Biomass generally stayed stable over time, suggesting that more small individuals were present despite the loss of larger ones. —Bianca Lopez
Abstract
Biotic responses to global change include directional shifts in organismal traits. Body size, an integrative trait that determines demographic rates and ecosystem functions, is thought to be shrinking in the Anthropocene. Here, we assessed the prevalence of body size change in six taxon groups across 5025 assemblage time series spanning 1960 to 2020. Using the Price equation to partition this change into within-species body size versus compositional changes, we detected prevailing decreases in body size through time driven primarily by fish, with more variable patterns in other taxa. We found that change in assemblage composition contributes more to body size changes than within-species trends, but both components show substantial variation in magnitude and direction. The biomass of assemblages remains quite stable as decreases in body size trade off with increases in abundance.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: May 11, 2024, 02:04:00 PM »
Stony coral tissue loss disease is shifting the ecological balance of Caribbean reefs

The outbreak of a deadly disease called stony coral tissue loss disease is destroying susceptible species of coral in the Caribbean while helping other, "weedier" organisms thrive -- at least for now -- according to a new study published today in Science Advances.

Researchers say the drastic change in the region's population of corals is sure to disrupt the delicate balance of the ecosystem and threaten marine biodiversity and coastal economies.

"Some fast-growing organisms, like algae, might thrive in the short term," said the study's lead author, Sara Swaminathan, an environmental engineering sciences Ph.D. candidate at the University of Florida.

"But the loss of the susceptible corals could have long-lasting repercussions."

Stony coral tissue loss disease, or SCTLD, was first reported off the coast of Miami in 2014 and has since moved throughout the Caribbean, having been identified in 18 countries and territories.

Scientists don't know what causes the disease, but it is thought to be a waterborne pathogen that spreads rapidly across the surface of the coral colony until, in most cases, no living tissue remains.

The research team analyzed existing data from the U.S. Virgin Islands as well as data from other U.S. territories in the Caribbean and western Atlantic, including Florida, Puerto Rico, and Dry Tortugas.

They examined the effects of stony coral tissue loss disease on fish and benthic reef communities, which comprises anything living on the sea floor, like coral, algae, and sponges.

They found that the disease not only reduces susceptible coral populations but also diminishes crustose coralline algae, the resilient pink crust that is crucial for building reef structure.

Consequently, certain fast-growing, weedy species, including macroalgae, cyanobacteria, and fire coral, thrive in the absence of competitors, spreading into the vacant spaces left by the decimated corals.

Swaminathan explained that fast-growing species benefitting from the disease create a more seaweed-dominated environment compared to the rock-hard reef structures.

"Macroalgae doesn't support as much biodiversity because it doesn't create a hard habitat," she said.

"It might be a positive for herbivores but not for other organisms that need places to settle and grow, hide, or mate."

In fact, the researchers found that the disease's impact varies among types of fish, and some associations are positive.

The study revealed that the rugosity of the coral -- the roughness of the habitat -- plays more of a factor for the fish than whether the coral is alive or dead.

"Some infectious diseases can affect entire ecosystems, but SCTLD is particularly impactful," said Kevin Lafferty, a senior scientist with the U.S. Geological Survey and leading expert on marine diseases.

"And its impacts are complex, with some winners among the losers."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240503172619.htm

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: May 14, 2024, 12:14:22 PM »
Temperature alters the size selectivity of Southern Ocean fish

A primary response of many marine ectotherms to warming is a reduction in body size, to lower the metabolic costs associated with higher temperatures. The impact of such changes on ecosystem dynamics and stability will depend on the resulting changes to community size-structure, but few studies have investigated how temperature affects the relative size of predators and their prey in natural systems. We utilise >3700 prey size measurements from ten Southern Ocean lanternfish species sampled across >10° of latitude to investigate how temperature influences predator-prey size relationships and size-selective feeding. As temperature increased, we show that predators became closer in size to their prey, which was primarily associated with a decline in predator size and an increase in the relative abundance of intermediate-sized prey. The potential implications of these changes include reduced top-down control of prey populations and a reduction in the diversity of predator-prey interactions. Both of these factors could reduce the stability of community dynamics and ecosystem resistance to perturbations under ocean warming.

https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/publication/temperature-alters-the-size-selectivity-of-southern-ocean-fish/

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: May 14, 2024, 12:17:04 PM »
Climate change having 'terrible impact' on avocados, says report

Activists are calling for more support for avocado farmers as a report revealed climate change is having a “terrible impact” on the fruit.

The popular superfood, which is high in fibre and healthy fats, relies on a lot of water to grow, making it especially vulnerable in a hotter, drier, more drought-prone world.

The best growing regions in countries like Burundi, Chile, Peru, Spain, South Africa and Mexico are seeing productivity shrink due to the more volatile conditions, according to the report from the charity Christian Aid.

The paper, published on Monday, said these areas are expected to decline by between 14% and 41% by 2050, depending on how fast global emissions are reduced.

The world’s biggest producer Mexico could see its potential growing area reduced by 31% by 2050 even if the global average temperature rise is limited to under 2C, and as much as 43% if it increases towards 5C, it said.

Jolis Bigirimana, an avocado farmer and president of Farmer’s Pride Burundi, said: “In Burundi, climate change is a huge problem, especially for avocado growers.

“We are experiencing hot temperatures, heavy rain and erosion, which is having a terrible impact on farmers’ productivity and their income.

“It now costs us a lot of money to water our crops.

”Just one avocado needs 320 litres of water on average, according to Honor Eldrige, sustainable food expert and author of the Avocado Debate.

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-05-12/calls-for-more-support-for-avocado-farmers-amid-climate-crisis