Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Iceberg Warning East Greenland  (Read 454 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 349
  • Likes Given: 1
Iceberg Warning East Greenland
« on: August 25, 2021, 09:16:11 PM »
A very large Iceberg will soon be departing Jøkelbugt and Zachariae Isstrøm, the size of this Iceberg is very rare nowadays on the East Coast of Greenland and could later be a hazard to shipping etc. further south.
The size of this Iceberg is aprox. 10 x 5 km or about 43 km2. not a common Iceberg in these water!

Let us call it ZI-XL-2021

Please click on image to animate!
Have a ice day!

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
  • Liked: 162
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Iceberg Warning East Greenland
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »
That's still a long way away from shipping lanes.

On 16th of August I saw two large icebergs at the south east tip of Greenland (60.5N, 42.5W)
The bigger one just split into half making it technically three.

Dimensions:
First: 2300m x 670m
Second: 4050m x 1220m

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 12:46:04 PM »
Espen's iceberg can be seen mooching around that inlet for at least the last 2 years and it still has to go north past the chain of islands to the east before it reaches the open sea (to which it now seems to be making rapid progress.). There are more icebergs "bottled up" down south behind that island chain - I don't think any more will escape soon.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 02:57:13 PM »
Espen's iceberg can be seen mooching around that inlet for at least the last 2 years and it still has to go north past the chain of islands to the east before it reaches the open sea (to which it now seems to be making rapid progress.). There are more icebergs "bottled up" down south behind that island chain - I don't think any more will escape soon.

I dont see those icebergs "bottled up" in the south escaping the "pinball machine", they will be reduced in size everytime they hit an rocky island.

And ZI-XL-2021 when entering open seas  to the East, will be the last in this size for years to come.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:06:15 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 782
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 04:29:18 PM »
Soon to join OffTheGrid's icebergs floating around in the North Sea ? :)
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 + 2 = 2021 + 1 .. you gotta laugh .. :)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 790
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »
And ZI-XL-2021 when entering open seas  to the East, will be the last in this size for years to come.
Bigger than the "any day now (probably this decade ...)" Petermann Glacier future iceberg?  Some day, presumably, these icebergs will be south of Greenland, so coming from the East or West won't matter.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 04:54:08 PM »
Bigger than the "any day now (probably this decade ...)" Petermann Glacier future iceberg?  Some day, presumably, these icebergs will be south of Greenland, so coming from the East or West won't matter.

Icebergs from the west coast normally ends up in Canada, and I am sorry I did not spell it out, I should have known better.
Have a ice day!