Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Global recession, supply issues and other COVID-19 consequences  (Read 186156 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2057
  • Likes Given: 1996
Re: Global recession, supply issues and other COVID-19 consequences
« Reply #1500 on: December 21, 2022, 06:06:58 PM »
what a weird tittle of this thread, so covid (a virus thing which we do not even acknowledge as a life) is to blame and not incompetents (which belongs to the most supreme stuff of the known universe) at positions of authorities?  <
(waiting for a politically correct cancellation/deletion) ;)

It was a thread for all subjects related to Covid which detracted from the main thread at the time which was then still about cases and data.

The thread has more or less run it´s cause.

The causes of inflation are many. We threw money at everything so that was going to a problem eventually. But this should be discussed in politics.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 654
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1501 on: December 22, 2022, 02:37:46 AM »
Because that 'simple concept', that way of thinking, is causing the problem. And I'm not making fun of anything. It's very serious.

How about some acceptance? How about some humility? How about not trying to be God all the time? Nature is not a machine.

I have given my point of view.
It isn't all that different to how we deal with other diseases, and we should deal with disease as best as we can.

We did it before big pharma, we will do it after it is gone.

When have I claimed to be any god?
I have never said nature is a machine, in fact, I have been quite clear about how nature cant be controlled and our attempts to do it generally fail badly.

Still, when someone is sick, and we can do something about it, we tend to do something about it.
I doubt that most people would not fight cancer without medical support... for example.

Acceptance?
Isnt my point of view accepting the Covid situation?

Humility?
As a rule, I tend to think that most of what I think is wrong and I work hard to prove my own thinking wrong. I am not arrogant in my thinking, but I am open to changing my mind when something turns up that counters my current thinking. This doesn't mean I am right, but if I think I am right (with caveats), I will say so with the ability to change my mind.

We are part of nature, and our job on a species level is to keep the species alive.
What we are doing is nature right down to the most corrupt pharma companies to those who live isolated in deep forests.

And like all species, we will breed and expand until the environment collapses because it cant sustain us anymore.
It is a shame we cant use our brains to change the story of nature, but it looks extremely unlikely to happen.
How is that for acceptance?

I accept that this global civilization we have will collapse within 30 odd years, and I am being generous with that timeline. Covid is one step toward that, but it will hardly be the biggest or most difficult.
I accept that I am in a position where I bring up my kids in preparation for what is coming rather than bringing them up to be in a world that is better than what I had.
And it sucks, and I am told I am deluded, but I accept that as well.

Covid is a disease, we will deal with as best we can, just like all animals deal with such things.

What you seem to be suggesting is we just throw our hands up in disgust and give up.

That point of view is the weird one.

And as I say to my kids when we discuss how people want to give up on our species is "I find it rather disrespectful to all our ancestors who fought and pushed to survive. And I mean from the very start, 4 billion odd years to trying to get one more generation through the mess, and they did it. Which is why it pisses me off no end when I hear people say "When the collapse happens, I will just give up.""

I hear you doing that.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1502 on: December 22, 2022, 01:07:36 PM »
Hello Rodius,
You shouldn't take is so seriously. My toilet paper post was a joke with deep roots because toilet paper in public places (restaurants, trains, airports...) is a direct sign of how rich a country is. So when I opened my toilet paper package and saw it had the same color than cardboard, I thought that we were on a slippery slope.
Regards,
Etienne

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #1503 on: December 22, 2022, 06:11:03 PM »
Hello Rodius,
You shouldn't take is so seriously. My toilet paper post was a joke with deep roots because toilet paper in public places (restaurants, trains, airports...) is a direct sign of how rich a country is. So when I opened my toilet paper package and saw it had the same color than cardboard, I thought that we were on a slippery slope.
Regards,
Etienne

It was brown?  Perhaps it was recycled toilet paper.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2057
  • Likes Given: 1996
« Reply #1504 on: December 22, 2022, 07:01:46 PM »
Well that seems a fitting way to end it.

Since this thread is no longer useful i will lock it. Recession or inflation can be discussed in politics.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.